Pages

5.02.2006

not just race


"I can't imagine my Lola considered a felon"


As hundreds of thousands of immigrants, mostly latinos walked the streets of the country yesterday, I softly wondered to myself, would there really be a great impact? The only way for the United States to be impacted by the boycott is if every single immigrant walked the streets. Not just latinos, but filipinos, thai, asians, middle easterns, indians, all immigrants. Does the new proposed law not understand how bad economically the country would be without immigrants? 35 million immigrants in the united states, imagine how much taxes they pay, imagine our produce, who is willing to pick their own lettuce or pay ten dollars for a head of lettuce? Engineers, doctors, professionals all contributed their cultural and educational skills to this country to advance it in medicine, science, and agriculture. I can't imagine my Lola considered a felon, 70+ years old, worked her butt off to support family members in the Philippines, Lola considered as a felon. The main reason there are so many filipino nurses in the US is because white Americans don't want to be nurses. They want a higher pay raise than what typical filipino nurses get. That said, I doubt there are many white americans who are willing to clean toilets, wipe elder people's butts, wash dishes in restaurants, pick the produce in the farms. A great nation is one whose attributes embrace cultures, understand cultures, and appreciate other cultures for their contributions to society. The greatness of one country is due to the contributions of another.

Update: new poem entry "BECAUSE I LOVE YOU"


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I agree!

Toto said...

Hey, I remember that poem baby. Especially the troubadour. Who can forget that word. =) I love you baby!

Johanne said...

wow ate, im gonna hire u as my lawyer if ever i would need one. hahaha. pics about my gift, ill show as soon as marissa sends them to me. i didnt have a cam that time. miss u ate!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! some intense stuff! You sure know what you're talking about! Girl! You're uberduper smart!

Johanne said...

the ring? haha, i dunno, im not really into jelwelries, but there was a time when were browsing some channels and a particular channel was selling engagement rings. I was like "i dont need an engagement ring coz were married, but if ever i get one, i want the smallest one". then ate weng got engaged. i dunno, maybe he felt like i had to have one too. hahaha. hmm... pag lambing ra gud and make some jokes about rings, or tell stories about it. hehehe. i did that too... hahaha.

kittyriz said...

ok, off topic from your entry, BUT

WHEN'S YOUR BIRTHDAY?!?!!?

Anonymous said...

Just passing through and I have to say that your template is amazing! Did you buy it or is there some fantastic free site that I don't know about? Please please Please let me know, you can email me @ dominatrixatheart@gmail.com or drop a comment off on my blog!

Anonymous said...

damn now i know why i dont argue with you.... too many big words for me to understand. on a side note VERY WELL SAID!