Pages

10.21.2005

Constant

I have problems dealing with my past. My friend Awon told me something about making peace. Making peace with our past. The most critical time of my life I was an outcast. Growing up an only child not only did I have difficulty making friends, but at where I was, people didn't want to make friends with me. Only a few, who spoke like me paid attention. It wasn't that I was jealous or bitter, just that I was mistreated and misunderstood. I was spit on once reading a book in the library. My socks were made fun of and my uniform because I couldn't afford to buy a new uniform. In college, my rebellion was short lived. I did all that, I drank a lot, I hung out with the wrong friends, I partied a lot, I rebelled against God, I was in the wrong relationships, in abusive relationships, I travelled without caution. I did all that, and it took me nowhere. Then I sometimes think, those people that i have so much hate for never experienced my experiences. Never was molested as a child, never grew up an only child to a single mother and having never met their biological father, never experienced being moved from one place to another, from one home to another, from one school to another, never dealt with being home alone at age 9, never had to earn money just to put myself through school. Their experiences could never compare to mine. Thus, I should never compare myself to them. My husband told me, stop thinking about your past and those people of you past because they probably don't even think about you at all. So either way, you're losing. They have moved on, you haven't.

5 comments:

dan said...

your husband is absolutely right.

a similar saying is: don't worry about the people in the past because they won't be worrying about you.

Beo said...

Let go of all of that. It's not fair to you, and it's not fair to your husband. And none of the things in the past were your fault.

I know it's not that easy, but as long as you live in the past you will never appreciate the future.

You've made many milestones that most people don't get to reach. Take solace in that, and grow.

It sucks that bad things happen to all of us in life, but these are the fingerprints that shape us. All of the good, and all of the bad is what made you who you are today.

Let go of the hate, and begin saying thanks to your past. Even the horrible parts.:(

tata said...

Thanks guys. It makes me even more inspired from your input. I'm so glad that guys understand this. Sometimes even more than women would. And that's a comforting thing to know. It's such a comforting, overwhelming, and such a relief for your support. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Beo said...

You're welcome.;)

iSharmaine said...

i totally understand u...

as you probably also read on my last post... i have some issues of my own too that i have no control over. ie. how i was raised up... or who is related to me or what not... that some people (ehem, like my M.I.L.) like to point out.. it hurts... but yea... gotta get over it though huh? but overall, i feel ya...