Pages

9.06.2011

Food: the good and the bad

You ever get that feeling when you first taste a dish and you will never ever forget?  Then everywhere you go you can't help but compare to the original best?  Well, here's  my take on two foods that I truly enjoy.

1.  I have always been a Quaker Oaks fan.  How could anything top Quaker Oaks?  That cylindrical box, the man on the label.  Since i was a child that was all i knew.  Then one day, my husband comes home from his grocery trip to Costco and brings this home.  COACH'S OATS.  At first i was just keeping an open mind.  Still thinking ofcourse that it can't be all that good because i had never heard of the brand.  So, we try it the next morning................and, to my surprise, it is soooooooooooooo good! Way better than Quaker Oats!!  Smoother, finer, and more palatable to the tongue.  I must say, this brand will be embedded in my mind as one that toppled my loyalty.

2.  On another note, I love love love Thai food.  It has all the Asian exotic flavor i want with the spiciness i crave.  This place, SED THEE, in Glendale, looked pretty impressive.  Amazing ambient lighting, beautiful interior decorating with a modern Asian Flare, rich private booths and impressive bar.  What was even more impressive was the price.  So, we were excited to have dinner.  But with all this impressive-ness, there was hardly any customers on a Thursday night.  Maybe two tables were occupied for a large place that must have had a seating capacity of 200 or more.  But the food must be amazing right?  And they had purple rice!   My favorite dish of curry and my husband's favorite eggplant dish was available.  My son was thrilled when he saw his Pad See Ew!   I was even convinced to have some freshly squeezed orange juice in addition to my pineapple juice.  So we pray, extremely hungry at this point, and dig in.......................... and that was when the enthusiasm faded away like a slither of smoke on a windy day.  My curry wasn't spicy and was watery, my husband's dish tasted more like onions than eggplant, and the only thing that i actually enjoyed was eating the Chinese brocolli off my son's Pad See Ew dish.  The orange juice was even bad, like somebody decided to pick the most bitter oranges to squeeze.  I guess i couldn't help compare it to my favorite restaurant in Pasadena, PATAYA (which is less fancy looking and less expensive but truly more taste worthy).  The price didn't really make it all any better.  


Well, i guess that goes for comparison.  Some things don't always have to look good to taste amazing. And some things appear to be good and just plainly.....well, how can i say this nicely.......totally suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: